Wednesday, February 13, 2013

One of those moments

The biggest reason I was drawn to FSF in the first place is because I love soccer. In my 15+ years playing, I have learned a ton, made many friends, felt some of the highest of highs and some of the lowest of lows. I love watching soccer, I love talking about soccer, I love playing soccer, I love all that soccer has afforded me in my life so far. 

But another part of the game that is somewhat new to me is the swelling of happiness, pride and giddyness (sorry-such a girly word, but it's exactly what I mean) that comes from watching someone else experience the joys of "the beautiful game" for the first time.  I was lucky enough to have one of those moments on Saturday at practice. Throughout the morning, we worked on passing and receiving with my team, the Estrella Seniors. One of my players, who is athletic and quick and pretty adept with her right, was struggling to effectively pass with her left. Was. 





During a particularly long water break, we began passing and I tried to talk through and help her feel the proper techniques of passing. A locked ankle, striking the middle of the ball etc. After several reps, she had already visibly improved. A few moments later, we began a 5v5 small sided game. Not only did I watch her place two give-and-go passes with her newfound left foot, but just moments later, she finished a ball into the side of the goal with a perfectly-timed left-footed slot. She bounded up to me for a high five, shouting "¡Aprendí, Aprendí! (I learned! I learned!)" I loved it. Her excitement was infectious, invigorating the whole group, coaches and made me smile ear to ear. 

I know how much I love, and will always love soccer. But seeing new joy of the game in another is something else entirely. I felt overjoyed for her and frankly somewhat touched. Soccer, particularly when it is shared, has potential like little else. It fosters countless positive things, but among those are ambition and hope. I think this is what it is all about. That moment I was lucky enough to experience...that is the whole point. 


No comments:

Post a Comment