Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A bit of catch up

Hello everyone!

I am sorry to have been so out of touch the past month. We had a busy beginning of May before I travelled home to the U.S. for two weeks for my mid-year break. It is totally crazy to think that I am about half way done with my time here. I had an amazing time at home with my family and my friends, and I would be lying if I said it wasn't difficult to leave. Now that I am back in Granada, though, I feel like I have a fresh zeal to achieve many of the goals I had set out earlier and several new ones as well.

I am excited to help create and sustain partnerships for our program, I am excited to continue and expand upon my goalkeeper sessions, in hopes to make them a regular part of programming with full attendance, and I am of course excited to work with my Estrellas. There are many personnel transitions that have just begun to occur within our program, but I will be a consistent presence for my team from now until December. Right before I left I was beginning to really feel a part of their community and lives and I can't wait to build further upon these relationships. I also want to take some of the great things that have begun this first half of the year and continue them through. Some of these things include workshops (tallers) and charlas (chats) which have added a personal and relationship health component to our programming. These more health focused activities are an exciting development in our dynamic programming on a topic that really excites me and also which is really important for our girls.

Another exciting event was a game yesterday against a team from Tipitapa (about an hour away, near Managua). While we lost the game, the event signified several important positive changes. First of all we were able to put together a team of many of the best players from three different FSF teams to make somewhat of an "All-Star Team" that played 11 v. 11, something they had never done before. They were also exposed to female futbólistas from an entirely different part of Nicaragua, another first. Afterwards we had a lunch and an activity with both teams, in which girls got to meet and learn a bit about each other. It was a long day, but an exciting one! In a month we will travel to Tipitapa to play another game there! We are hopeful that this is the beginning of a long and positive relationship with another women's soccer group!

Hasta pronto!

Pregame breakfast
¡Fútbol Sin Fronteras!









Post Game Lunch and Activity




Goalkeeper Warm-up






No comments:

Post a Comment