Sunday, January 6, 2013

¡Mañana!

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to unite in a way that little else does. It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair.”- Nelson Mandela

Tomorrow I begin a new adventure! I can't believe it has come so soon! I start a year-long internship in Granada, Nicaragua with a non-profit called Soccer Without Borders. Fútbol sin Fronteras (en español) uses soccer as a vehicle for positive change at several sites both in the US and abroad. In Granada, SWB works to empower girls in particular.

Many of us have been incredibly fortunate to reap the countless benefits of participating in sports. We have learned hard work and accountability, teamwork and unity, communication and confidence. Soccer, “the beautiful game,” the world’s most popular sport, has a unique ability to reach people from all walks of life, to unify a group, a family, a team and a community to achieve the aforementioned qualities and much more.

Soccer Without Borders uses team play and instruction, team building, off the field lessons and workshops as steps toward positive change. SWB inspires the girls of Granada, Nicaragua to believe in themselves, to set goals and to dream big both on and off the soccer pitch. And starting tomorrow, I will be a new member of the Soccer Without Borders team and the Granada community.

I am very lucky to have kind and generous people in my life. Thank you so much to all my friends and family who contributed to my fundraising efforts. I also want to especially thank the athletic community at Amherst College for all of your continued support. I hope to bring a little piece of all of you to my efforts in Nica!

¡Hasta luego!

Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment