Friday, January 18, 2013



Hello!!

Just about done with FSF January Camp! The week was busy and hectic and tons of fun. We spent our mornings playing soccer in the back part of Mulitestadio, a baseball complex. We also held a variety of activities for the girls in the afternoon and spent lots of good time, particularly eating, with the 11 volunteers. For the first time, I spent a lot of time both during soccer and activities with my team; the Estrellas Seniors who range from 12-16. Yesterday I had a pretty long conversation with one of my players, which was exciting especially given my terrible Spanish. Speaking slowly so I could understand, she told me a little about her family, what she wants to be when she grows up, her desire to learn English, and how much she loves FSF. This first connection felt special and very cool. It also served to further add fuel to the fire in terms of my desire to improve my Spanish.


This morning was especially fun. The last day of camp culminated in Las Olympias (the Olympics), which included a variety of competitions at different stations. I helped run the obstacle course. The girls seemed to have a blast and earned some fun prizes at the end including shorts and bracelets. And now  we have the afternoon off! It’s a beautiful day and we may pay 5 cords to go swim in a hotel pool nearby.

Yesterday evening we climbed up La Merced and got a great view of the city! I’m excited to explore beyond the 6 blocks between the field, Tres Pisos and the Calzada (a street where we have had several meals). Hopefully I can do some of that this weekend!

The view from atop La Merced of Granada and Mombacha 


That’s all for now!

Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment